Sunday, January 27, 2013

That One Moment in Time..The Very Moment, That Marks Who We Are As People. The Moment..that Defines Us.

I just lived the most wonderful fantasy.

My hair is tied up loosely, small ringlets falling here and there behind each ear to mark my cheek. A blue ribbon around the knot, and the look is rather old fashiondly beautiful, and exquisite. My eyes are lined and lashes full. Lips, in a shade slightly darker than my own, with pearl earrings, and a smile. In this moment I am transported back in time, in a different place, in a different life. Frank Sinatra is on the stage singing "Embraceable You" and I picture him singing to me, and holding his hand out, asking me to dance. And we dance like they do in the movies. The man singing, perfectly on pitch, and the woman, all smiles and happiness. Pure happiness. And every movement is flawless, as if I am a feather. I close my eyes and mimic the movements and it's as if I am there, and some ghost of my past moves me to songs it once knew. I don't feel my steps, I feel light, like I'm hardly moving at all. And the end of the song comes and the girl smiles ever brighter because she knows what's coming. And the man finishes the last note with perfect trembling of the vocal cords, and for a moment-just a slight moment-they stare into each others eyes as if they've found everything they were ever looking for right there in the eyes of that other person. And then they kiss. Finally joining what they didn't even know was separated to begin with.
And then everything's okay. They get their happily ever after-Usually.


But we never see what's after the end credits do we.

And at the end of the day, Frank Sinatras just some asshole guy with good looks and a great voice. And the people kissing are just actors and actresses, trying to find on stage what they're missing in life. The stage has become their life. It always does. And for a moment everything's okay. Because when you're empty enough you can fully encapsulate any character as your own. And so for a moment it's okay. And life goes on. And the next role is played, by the next actor and actress, who have lives and problems. And soon they die, and are forgotten, as everyone who knew them dies too. And for the person who sees all of this happening with eyes wide open they begin to wonder what's the point, and they are always searching, constantly searching for the answer. And they wonder if that's the point-to search.
Or if it's merely the point to search, and live, solely,


For the moment.

No comments: